The mountains of central California have been igniting curiosity and inspiring wanderlust for decades. As John Muir said over a century ago, "The mountains are calling and I must go."
Mammoth Lakes and the surrounding areas in the Eastern Sierra Mountains are begging to be explored. Mammoth will write a song in your heart and fill you with peace if you let her.
To prove it, we are sharing these ten photos that will inspire you to put Mammoth on your short list of travel destinations.
Mammoth Lakes, California
READ NEXT: Am I Too Old to Learn to Ski?
READ NEXT: Mammoth Ski Trip on a Budget
Frozen, majestic Convict Lake, a 15 minute drive from Mammoth. You can snowshoe the quiet perimeter and probably never run into a real convict.
I know what you're thinking...
Where Exactly is Mammoth?
It's where that little airplane is, because lucky you(!) there's an airport in Mammoth with direct flights from three California locations. Search Skyscanner for cheap flights.
Or, hop in your car, because Mammoth is a beautiful 5-ish hour drive from Southern California.
Our favorite guidebooks to get to know the Mammoth area:
- California's Eastern Sierra: A Visitor's Guide
- Eastern Sierra Hot Springs The Complete Guide to Eastern Sierra Recreational Hot Springs
- Mammoth from the Inside: The Honest Guide to Mammoth & the Eastern Sierra
- Exploring Mammoth Lakes: Four Seasons of Eastern Sierra Adventure (Companion Press Series)
- California's Eastern Sierra: A Visitor's Guide [Paperback]  (Author) Sue Irwin